Brits spend £4,454 per person on their looks
By Kat Hill | 13 July 2017 | Expert Advice, Feature, News
New research from TotallyMoney.com has provided an insight into beauty spending habits in the UK – revealing that over 70% are beauty conscious, with 45% of people unwilling to post a picture on social media if they haven’t had a chance to put an effort into their appearance first.
The report found Leeds was the front-runner on costs and had a higher-than-average level of pride in their appearance, with 79% of local respondents saying they considered their looks important. Cardiff placed the most importance on their appearance, despite coming only 18th when it came to overall spend throughout the year. The city had the highest spend on gyms each year – at £643 per person.
The survey also revealed the frequency with which respondents spent money on each item, combining average costs for each beauty item and a cost per person for each city.
- Leeds – £7,000 being spent per capita each year. The city was the biggest spenders on teeth whitening services and dermatologists, at £587 a year
- London – Spending ver £6,300, the capital spent the second most in the UK on gyms, at £601 a year per person
- Coventry – The city saw an yearly spend of £6,268, with the highest frequently getting their hair done, and accordingly, the highest costs on haircuts – at a £750 a year.
- Belfast – With an overall spend of £5,900 a year, Belfast’s main outgoing costs were as a result of facial products – just shy of £1,000 a year.
- Manchester – Manchester’s overall yearly cost of £5,600 was primarily made up of face products at £861.
At the other end of the scale, Aberdeen had the least overall spend, only paying out £2,710 per person each year. Aberdeen also saw the lowest hair budget at only £338, £22 less than the next lowest hair spenders in Bristol.
“The research isn’t just about the total spend,“ says Joe Gardiner, from TotallyMoney.com. “It’s interesting to see the breakdown and understand which cities value which parts of their appearance the most.”
Check out the original infographic by clicking here